Monday, April 12, 2010

One does not become a gamer nerd over night

It takes years of being sucked into Mountain Dew filled nights and several heated Batman debates and before you realize it you own a D&D 3.5 manual and are fighting with loved ones over control of the PS3.

My father was gamer way back in the day (by the way back in the day was 1989) He would host games every Saturday night with his high school friends. He was very focused on these Saturday night events, spending hours reading from the AD&D (Advanced Dungeons and Dragons for the newbies) and kicking me and my brother out of the living room so five grown men could pretend they could cast Fireball and summon the inner He-man. My father focus on these Saturday night events trumped all, including remembering my brother and I needing to have dinner until crying. (damn children and the need to eat!)

This resulted in my father's friends calling him a dick and me having a story to blackmail my father with till he passes.

He stopped gaming till I was about 10 or 11 and than LARP-ing was born. (Live action role playing for the newbies) Oh the LARP-ing. Nothing says father-daughter bonding like watching dad put on make-up, fake teeth and trench coat to pretend he's a 500 year old vampire.
My birth mother however swore she wasn't having a gamer for a daughter which gave to a cheer leading phase I won't go into. My father took pity on me however and started leading me the Dork Side. (Yes I meant to say that)

I started reading Dragons of the Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, also known has the D&D gateway drug. I fell in love with the DragonLance series and they started me down a path of gamer nerd I couldn't turn away from.

I didn't play my first D&D game until I was 17, however I was still a nerd falling in love with Japanese Anime, video games and a site called fanfiction.net. Gaming simply pushed me over the edge of nerd landing me in the gamer nerd category which I now proudly claim.

Since than I do own a D&D 3.5 manual, several dice sets, and a manga collection of Sailor Moon. I have had talks at two o'clock in morning about what a whiny girl Wolverine was in the third X-men movie fueled by Mountain Dew and Pixies Sticks.

And I love every minute I get to be the Girly Nerdy Gamer

2 comments:

  1. Rock on, Gamer_girl! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huzzah! It's about time you posted these topics. Mine own start was in 1981 with a friend's red box D&D. This was soon followed by me running adventures for my li'l brother with Chaosium's "Worlds of Wonder." (1982)

    I haven't looked back since.

    ReplyDelete