Sunday, June 10, 2012

Saving Scully




"Are you sure this is the one?" asked my husband.
"Yeah...she seems to like us." The handler nodded and told us that she would get the papers for 'Tulip' and we could take her home. She left the room and 'Tulip' went over to my husband and begged for another treat. After nearly a year an half of debate we were finally getting our first dog.


My husband grew up with dogs his whole life: from puppy to the very end. I on the other hand really didn't have dogs. I mean we had dogs, but due to moving, parents lack of money, or they got tried of taking care of dog so we never got to keep the dogs they got us. So after awhile I just stop getting attached to the pets, since it was just going to be taken away. It wasn't until my grandmother got me my cat-Luna and flat out told my mother that the cat was to stay. I got Luna when I was 13 and she was with me until I was 26. So to say that she was was a large part of my life is an understatement and despite the fact my husband said he hated her at times, he was also upset at her passing.

We had talked about getting a dog for awhile, but after Luna's passing it was really hard to think about getting another pet. I still have a thing about looking at cats in pet stores, they still make me sad. So it was almost seven months before we started talking about getting another pet. Our work schedule made it impossible to own a puppy, so it was decided that an older dog would be our best bet. It would be another two months before we started looking and it only took us a week to find her.

We agreed that we wanted a beagle, it was the only breed of dog he had ever had and since we've been together I've gotten attached to his parent's beagle dog: Suzie. Plus beagle's are awesome and really family friendly and are really easy going. So after looking online at some of our local shelters we only found two beagles that were up for adoption, one was at a shelter over an hour away named Honey and the other one at a shelter only ten minutes from our house a two year old named Tulip. She looked cute, but also a little sad. We printed out the forms for adoption and made plans to go meet her.


Our 1st meeting didn't go as planned. I had called on Thursday to ask the shelter if she was still there and was told her was. I asked if we come and see her on Friday and turn in the adoption papers. The clerk said she was still there and that we could see her on Friday. So Friday we went in to see her only to find out that she had been taken out that day for an adoption event and wouldn't be back until closing. We were both kind of disappointed that she wasn't there, but according to the girl at the front desk no one had called in from the event to say she had been adopted.

"It's good that someone is finally looking to adopt her. She's been here for two months and no one has looked at her." This worried us a little bit, she looked like a good dog so why didn't anyone want her. We left our papers to be looked over and we were promised that she would be back in the morning. Disappointed we left, went to dinner and than went and looked at dog stuff. The next morning the shelter called saying we had been approved for adoption and that we could see Tulip. So we drove back to the shelter and this time we finally got to meet 'Tulip'. She was skinny, very skinny and shy at first. After treats were given she seemed to settle down a bit and let us pet her. The handler told us that she had been found as a stray the day after Christmas and that no one ever came to look for her and that no one had been interested in her.

So we figured one of two things had happened to her. One was that she had run away, but still how do you not go looking for your family pet the day after Christmas? The other one was that someone had just tossed her out for really no good reason. So she came home with us and refused to come to her name 'Tulip'. We had always talked about what we would name our dog if we got one. If it was a boy: Sheldon...if it was a girl well...

"Scully!" She gave us a look and we called her name again. "Scully!" She was still at little scared at first but she came to us. It's been a lot work-she needed re house broken. She didn't seem to like me at all when we 1st brought her home and we're still working on her freaking out when we're apart. But she seems to be doing ok right now, after almost three months she is our little puppy shadow. Scully takes turns with who she likes to follow around the house, at nights she'll either sit on the sofa with me and watch TV or lay on the floor while Jason is playing computer games. She's just an amazing addition to our lives. I forgot how awesome it was to come home to a pet...she's always happy to see you. No matter how shitty the day has been it's just nice to have someone who just wants to love you for no reason at all and really doesn't ask for anything back...well treats and pets.

Well right now someone is begging for attention. Scully's looking at me with those great big eyes and is begging for her walk.

Next Blog-The start of the Batman Re-watch Project kicks off the the 1989 Tim Burton Batman!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Considering how long you had your cat, I doubt the sadness will ever totally go away. (My dog passed away in 2001, and I still get a little somber and wistful when I see a Cocker Spaniel.)

    Good luck with your Re-watch Project, particularly during the Chris O'Donnell years.

    ReplyDelete